Thursday, March 18, 2010

Crazy Idea?

Yesterday while I was out in the garden, I had fun watching the bees pollinating the crocuses. Lots of pollens had fell off the anthers and were caught inside the flower and got a crazy idea. I grab the pot of amaryllis from the house and picked one giant purple crocus. I cross pollinated it with Cybister Lima. I don't know if anybody has done this before or if the amaryllis will take the crocus pollens. I do not know if there is compatibility. I am not a botanist or anything, just a gardener that occasionally like to experiment with plants.


Cybister Lima's bloom.


Cross pollinating.


All three stigmas are coated with crocus pollens. The fourth flower at the back is self pollinated a couple of days ago.


Tagged



This is Cybister Rosario. Two of its flowers has taken Cybister Lima. Cross pollinated on the 9th of March. The seed pods are swelling up nicely.

2 comments:

MrBrownThumb said...

Hmmm,

I don't know what will happen with your first cross but the second one looks like it is going to be really interesting.

Lily said...

Amaryllis is in the Amaryllidaceae family and Crocus is in the Iridaceae family. Yeah, it was really a crazy idea.

I was excited when I saw those Rosario seedpods come along. If ever you are interested to grow the cross, I am more than happy to give you some seeds when they ripen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...